Because sometimes they need a little help asking for help
We are looking for retired Southern Baptist ministers, workers and their widows whose income is insufficient to meet their daily needs to see if they might be eligible for assistance from our Mission:Dignity ministry. Many of our new applicants tell us they didn’t know this resource was even available to them.
Do you know of someone who might benefit from some extra financial help? Be intentional about asking how they are doing financially. We would be grateful if you would let us know about them and if you would encourage them to send us an application for consideration. Our hope is they will see this as a way for their Southern Baptist family to honor their years of devoted service.
To apply, an applicant must complete the Application for Financial Assistance (pdf) and return it to the address on the form. Applicants may also request an application by calling 1-877-888-9409 or sending an email to us with their name and mailing address. Recipients of Mission:Dignity funds must meet eligibility guidelines:
- 65 or older and retired
- Minimum of 10 years of paid service with a Southern Baptist church, agency or institution
- An individual who was married to someone in a ministerial position for 10 or more years during the time of their service and who would have met the above requirements may also apply
- Income limits are based on federal poverty guidelines and are adjusted each year. For 2019 income cannot exceed $2,082 a month for a single person or $2,820 a month for a couple
- Less than $30,000 in assets, excluding home
- Must re-qualify every two years
A committee of trustees reviews and makes a final determination of acceptance or decline for any application that does not meet the guidelines.
Mission:Dignity relies on the support of churches and individuals to provide this vital assistance. You can participate in this ministry by sending a gift, funding a Charitable Gift Annuity, designating the ministry as the beneficiary of your life insurance, will or estate plan, or requesting materials to share with others. You can also read more about who we help.